Moving to Aged Care
Moving can be overwhelming experience for us all at any stage in our lives, but when making a significant life change, possibly downsizing and moving to an aged care residence, it can be physically and emotionally challenging for everyone involved, particularly if exiting and farewelling the family home after many decades
As well as deciding on a new home, lots of decisions and choices will be required to plan your move and deal with the lifetime of possessions within your home –
- What to take with you (functional & favourites)?
- What to do with what is left behind (farewell)? Realistically what are the options (sell, donate, toss)?
- How to farewell years of possessions yet retain memories?
- How to involve your family & loved ones?
- Who to trust? Where to start? How to plan it all, get it done and achieve deadlines?
- How to come to terms with it all with understanding, care and respect
- How to minimise the stress & pain where possible
- Where to maximise your time for greatest return
- What if you physically can’t do it?
It is not easy to farewell a loved family home that is full of your lifetime of items and has years of wonderful memories. It can be physically & mentally challenging. Add to this the fact that we currently live in an “age of abundance of stuff”, where may of us have lots of stuff & are thus challenged by what to do with all our possessions that can’t go with us when we downsize. It may not be any easy task to come to terms with. For most of our lives we have upsized, so we are not necessarily experienced at downsizing …
The first step is clarifying goals, planning, keeping on track & coming to terms with the transition –
- Understanding priorities
- Identifying what to take & what must go –
- Favourites (must haves, what you love)
- Functional items (what you use now & what supports you in your new lifestyle)
- Farewelling what must go
- Setting out a timeline – the move, sale of house, settlement
- Clarifying what friends or family may want
- If selling the family home, how to make it sparkle for sale (maximising the sale price, whilst minimising costs)
- Getting it all done –
- Packing, moving, unpacking
- Sorting what’s left – items to be sold, recycled, donated or disposed of
- Refreshing and presenting the property for sale to maximise its sale price
It’s a huge job sorting an entire home, so it can be overwhelming & physically & mentally tiring. With our service, you can concentrate on yourself or your loved one, while knowing we are doing what needs to be done to achieve your best interests. Alternatively if you need just a little assistance & guidance, ask about our consultation package ($295 +GST)
allsorters specialise in assisting clients in their third age & their families – sometimes our clients have no family to assist them, sometimes our clients just need a little guidance to get on the right track, sometimes their family maybe remote or time poor. Sadly often families find it hard to focus on settling their loved one into their new home because they are too busy sorting out what’s left behind in the home
For carers on this journey with a loved one, it is also a challenging time to ensure your loved one’s safety, health, welfare and emotional needs, while also helping them to settle in & embrace their new lifestyle
To discuss your needs & how we can help, contact Mary to discuss your situation
Mary specialises exclusively in working with clients and the families of those in their third age