3a Decluttering, De-owning & Downsizing
Most of us aspire to live in a tidy, healthy, safe & uncluttered home.
Sounds great, but for some of us it presents a few challenges because as we age each decade we have lived provides the opportunity to have kept more stuff (lots of life stuff).
At times our stuff gets out of control and we become overwhelmed, “how did it happen”, “how do I deal with it”?
Mary of allsorters specialises in working with clients in their third age (65+), who are often further along their life journey and maybe overwhelmed with lots of stuff, possibly a lifetime of possessions. She helps clients to sort, declutter, de-own, downsize, organise & farewell items –
- For easier & safer living
- To regain & maintain control
- To rebalance, refocus, refresh & relove your home
- To effectively plan a downsizing move
- To sort Lots of Life Stuff (LOLS) using her 3F’s (functional, favourites & farewell) –
- To make tough decisions about what to retain (functional & favourites) & what to let go (farewell) – Mary’s 3F’s
- To identify & understand issues stopping decisions being made
- To prepare homes for sale to maximise their sale price (minimum cost for maximum result)
- To look at habits & change behaviours going forward
Consider that for each decade we have lived, we have had the opportunity to accumulate more possessions. So for anyone further along their life journey, it is often about farewelling items & de-owning a lifetime of possessions … not always a welcome or easy task
Where to start?
- We are all unique, love different things & have our own life experiences – so identifying each person’s key motivators, priorities & goals is a great place to start
- Understanding how we relate to what we own is essential to ensure we value ourselves & our needs as much as the “stuff”
- Identifying what to keep & what to let go can be overwhelming (sell, give, toss)
- Accepting that life is not about perfection, our lives are fluid
- In the end it’s only stuff, but it’s your stuff!
Wherever you are on your life journey, being organised is not about perfection, it’s about finding the right balance for you & your space to support you in your current lifestyle
We focus on …
- getting you into the right head space to make decisions
- your home being organised to support your current stage in life
- your storage options being used effectively
- your home being safe and healthy to live in
- reviewing your habits to keep you organised going forward …
No one should have so much stuff that they spend more time taking care of it than they do of themselves or their loved ones
If you feel a little overwhelmed with “stuff”, feel that your home is unsafe because of too much stuff, need help downsizing or preparing a property for sale, either –
- get decluttering yourself (check out our decluttering tips)
- ask a family member or a friend to help
- contact Mary –
- for a free 10 minute telephone consultation about your situation
- to book a session to get started
It is easy to underestimate the physical & emotional effects of decluttering & clearing the past to set up your new life …
If you want an individual service, call Mary if you need help for yourself or a loved one who is chronically disorganised or believe Hoarding Disorder maybe involved
Look out for my page on hoarding (coming soon)
allsorters – decluttering specialists