3a Decluttering & Downsizing
Do you have rooms that have turned into storage rooms over time?
Are your cupboards so full you don’t use them anymore?
Do you dream of living in a tidy, uncluttered and healthy home?
Are you wonder where all the stuff came from? Do you find it hard to let stuff go?
There are many reasons we may have ended up with too much stuff –
- Emotionally connected to items
- Buying more & more stuff over recent years
- Bad habits & lack of systems, i.e. not turning stuff over, particularly as we bring more and more stuff into our homes
- Poor space planning – thinking you can squash more in
- Life event – such as a move, accident, loss of a loved one
- Keeping items “just in case’ (interestingly, it seems this is the largest reason people keep stuff)
We are living in an age of an abundance of stuff to purchase and thus many of us are tempted and may end up buying too much stuff! Never before has so much been available for us to buy whenever we want it. At times our stuff can pile up and we get overwhelmed, “how did it happen”, “how do I deal with it”, “where do I start”?
As we age it can be even more challenging, as each decade we live provides the opportunity to accumulate more stuff, what I call “lots of life stuff” – decluttering is not the same at every age.
The key is our “mindset” and how we think about our stuff, why we keep what we do and whether we can let what we no longer need go. Once we understand our motivations & thinking, we can then focus on how to change these thoughts so that we can let what has no value in our lives go more easily!
Mary of allsorters specialises in working with clients in their third age (65+), who are often further along their life journey and have had longer to accumulate stuff, possibly an inability to “tidy up” and confused about where to start. She helps clients to sort, declutter, de-own, downsize, organise & farewell items using her 3F’s – Functional, Favourites & Farewell
- For easier & safer living
- To regain & maintain control
- To rebalance, refocus, refresh & relove your home
- To effectively plan a downsizing move
- To sort Lots of Life Stuff (LOLS)
- To make tough decisions about what to retain (functional & favourites) & what to let go (farewell)
- To identify & understand issues stopping decisions being made
- To prepare homes for sale to maximise their sale price (minimum cost for maximum result)
- To look at habits & change behaviours going forward
Consider that for each decade we have lived, we have had the opportunity to accumulate more possessions. So if you are further along your life journey, it is often about farewelling items & de-owning a lifetime of possessions (not always a welcome or easy task)
Where to start?
- We are all unique, love different things & have our own life experiences – so identifying each person’s key motivators, priorities & goals is a great place to start
- How we think about what we own, i.e. understanding how we relate to what we own is essential to ensure we value ourselves & our needs as much as the “stuff”
- Identifying what to keep & what to let go can be overwhelming (sell, give, toss)
- Understand that some people need help getting sorted while others can do it step-by-step
- Accepting that life is not about perfection, our lives are fluid
- In the end it’s only stuff, but it’s your stuff!
Wherever you are on your life journey, being organised is not about perfection, it’s about finding the right balance for you & your space to support you in your current lifestyle.
No one should have so much stuff that they spend more time taking care of it than they do of themselves or their loved ones
If you feel a little overwhelmed with “stuff”, feel that your home is unsafe because of too much stuff, need help downsizing or preparing a property for sale, either –
- get decluttering yourself (check out our decluttering tips)
- ask a family member or a friend to help
- contact Mary –
- for a free 10 minute telephone consultation about your situation
- to book a session to get started
It is easy to underestimate the physical & emotional effects of decluttering & clearing the past to set up your new life …
If you want an individual service, call Mary if you need help for yourself or a loved one who is chronically disorganised or believe Hoarding Disorder maybe involved
Look out for my page on hoarding (coming soon)
allsorters – decluttering specialists