Downsizing to retirement or independent living
Moving can be overwhelming for any one at any life stage, so it is not surprising that when making a significant life change, maybe downsizing or moving to a smaller home or retirement, lifestyle or independent living, it can be physically and emotionally challenging, particularly if you are farewelling the family home after many decades.
You are not alone – one of the biggest hurdles for many is dealing with everything they own. We live in a time of plenty where there is an “abundance of stuff”, a “gadget for everything”, and most of us can buy what we want when we want or need it. So it is not surprising that many of us have accumulated too much stuff, feel emotionally connected and/or invested to items and are thus challenged and overwhelmed by what we have?
Plus, as we age it can become more physically and mentally challenging to keep our possessions organised – which may mean homes are full combined with a loss of habits or inability to change habits (e.g. lack of tidying up, too much shopping/stuff coming into the home on a regular basis), so dealing with it all will take time & tough decisions, realisations and choices may be needed to ensure you downsize effectively to achieve your goals, needs and desires –
- What to take with you?
- Where to start, how to get it all done?
- Identifying a plan & then focusing on your priorities
- Who to trust?
- How to farewell & let items go? What are your options? How to decide?
- Can’t let go? What is slowing you down?
- How to come to terms with it all? Most of our lives we upsize, so downsizing is a new experience …
- How to focus on what is truly important – you & ageing fabulously …
We are not necessarily experienced at downsizing as most of our lives we have upsized!
Decluttering & letting items go is all about making decisions & when lots of decisions are needed, that’s when it can become overwhelming
Please do not underestimate how challenging downsizing can be, the physical & mental input required nor the importance of planning what is involved.
Mary of allsorters regularly assists clients with –
- Developing a timeline for the move (including preparing the house for sale & settlement)
- Identifying –
- what to take – what suits your new lifestyle in your new home
- what to let go – sorting home & contents into Functional, Favourites or Farewell items (Mary’s 3F’s)
- Small moves – packing, moving, unpacking
- Presenting the property for sale to maximise its sale price
- Preparing the property for settlement
Our ultimate goal is to ensure you are equipped to enjoy your new lifestyle = your health, happiness & welfare
It’s can be a huge & expensive task sorting out an entire home – by using our service, you can concentrate on settling into your new home while we do what needs to be done to achieve your best interests in line with your budget
For those who just need a little assistance, we can provide one-on-one assistance or assist by putting together a plan
If you or a loved one is downsizing to independent or retirement living, contact Mary to discuss your needs, the level of care required & our consultation package ($295 +GST)
Mary specialises in working with third age clients & their families