Senior Adults Decluttering and Downsizing
Have you accumulated lots of stuff over many years?
Feeling overwhelmed with it all?
Want to declutter but don’t know where to start?
Do you need professional help?
- Are you spending too much time looking for stuff?
- Are your cupboards so full you can’t remember what’s in them? (Maybe it even feels unsafe to open them?)
- Are you worried your home is unsafe and/or unhealthy due to clutter and trip hazards?
- Has it become difficult to clean your home?
- Are there “piles” clogging hallways? Do you have rooms that have evolved into storage or junk rooms over time?
- Is your paperwork piling up?
- Are you surprised by how much you have?
- Do your clothes fit in your wardrobe/s or are your clothes all around your room?
- Do you keep adding more furniture to put more stuff in?
- Would you like to downsize but don’t know what to do with everything accumulated over the years? Is your stuff holding you back?
- It may all bring you joy, but too much can become unhealthy. Maybe you want more from life than just managing all your stuff!
- Is it time to declutter?
- Maybe you just need a little help to get back on track?
If you have accumulated a lot of stuff over many years, you are not alone. There are many reasons we end up with too much stuff –
- Emotionally connected to items
- Over-shopping – buying more and more on an ongoing basis
- Best of intentions, i.e. intending to sell stuff but never doing it
- Keeping other people’s stuff (children’s, inheritances, loved ones)
- Life event – such as a move, accident, loss of a loved one
- Keeping items “just in case’ (interestingly, it seems this is the largest reason people keep stuff)
- Failing to clear items regularly
- Bad habits and lack of systems
- Poor space planning – thinking you can squeeze more in
- Physically unable to tidy up and clear stuff
- Seeing the value of stuff but failing to value your space and time
Today we live in an age of an abundance of stuff and thus many of us are constantly tempted to buy items and the latest gadgets! Never before has so much been available for us to buy whenever we want it. If you are overwhelmed with what you have accumulated, you may wonder “how did it happen”, “how do I deal with it”, “where do I start”?
As we age it can be even more challenging as each year provides the opportunity for us to shop, collect, inherit and thus accumulate more stuff, what I call “lots of life stuff” – thus decluttering can seem more overwhelming.
The key is how we think about our stuff, why we keep what we do and whether we can let what we no longer need go. Once we understand our motivations and thinking, we can then focus on how to change these thoughts so that we can let what we no longer need or what has no value in our lives go!
allsorters specialise in working with senior adults in their third age (60+), who have lived longer and thus have accumulated more stuff. Possibly there is an inability to “tidy up” and confusion about where to start. We help clients to sort, declutter, de-own, downsize, organise and farewell items using Mary’s 3F’s – Functional, Favourites & Farewell
- For easier and safer living
- To regain and maintain control
- To rebalance, refocus, refresh and relove your home
- To effectively plan a downsizing move
- To sort Lots of Life Stuff (LOLS)
- To make tough decisions about what to retain (functional and favourites) and what to let go (farewell)
- To identify amd understand issues stopping decisions being made
- To prepare homes for sale to maximise their sale price (minimum cost for maximum result)
- To look at habits and change behaviours going forward
Where to start?
- We are all unique, love different things and have our own life experiences – so identifying key motivators, priorities and goals is essential
- Identifying what to keep and what to let go can be overwhelming (sell, give, toss)
- Understand that some people need help getting sorted while others can do it themselves
- Accepting that life is not about perfection, our lives are fluid
- In the end it’s only stuff, but it’s your stuff!
Wherever you are on your life journey, being organised is not about perfection, it’s about finding the right balance for you and your space to support you in your current lifestyle.
No one should have so much stuff that they spend more time taking care of it than they do of themselves or their loved ones
If you feel a little overwhelmed with “stuff”, feel that your home is unsafe because of too much stuff, need help downsizing or preparing a property for sale, either –
- get decluttering yourself (check out our decluttering tips)
- ask a family member or a friend to help
- or get professional assistance –
- contact Mary –
- if you need help for yourself or a loved one who is chronically disorganised or believe Hoarding Disorder maybe involved
- for a free 10 minute telephone consultation about your situation
- to book a session to get started
- contact Mary –
It is easy to underestimate the physical and emotional effects of decluttering … clearing the past to set up your new life …
Look out for my page on hoarding (coming soon)
allsorters – decluttering specialists