Downsizing to retirement or independent living
Moving can be overwhelming for any one at any age or life stage, so it is hardly surprising that for anyone considering a significant life change such as downsizing to a smaller home or retirement, lifestyle or independent living, it can be physically and emotionally challenging, particularly if farewelling the family home after many decades.
Change is rarely easy and making decisions about what we can take and what we must let go can be tough emotionally. It is not necessarily about the stuff, but rather what the stuff represents or the decisions that need to be made!
If you can’t face the thought of downsizing because you worry about what will happen to all your stuff, you are not alone – one of the biggest hurdles for many is dealing with everything they own. Most of our lives we have upsized, so downsizing is a new experience. Add to this the fact that each year we have lived has provided the opportunity to accumulate more possessions, thus as we age it can be more physically and mentally challenging to let stuff go –
- Stuff comes in, yet little goes out
- Lack of tidying up (possibly a loss of habits or inability to change habits as we age, e.g. failure to change buying habits …)
- Changing times as we live in an age of abundance of stuff, a “gadget for everything” – thus, most of us can buy what we want when we want it
- Feeling emotionally connected to items makes it more difficult to let them go …
So if you have a lot of stuff and you want to downsize, you will need to get sorting asap. Developing a Transition Plan that will help you focus on your priorities, objectives and keep you on track –
- Where to start, how to get it all done?
- What to take with you?
- How to farewell and let items go? What are your options? How to decide?
- Who to trust? Do you need professional help?
- How to focus on what is truly important – you and ageing fabulously …
Remember, you are more important than your possessions. Please do not underestimate how challenging downsizing can be, the physical and mental input required nor the importance of planning. Decluttering and letting items go is all about making decisions and decisions can be overwhelming.
Mary of allsorters regularly assists clients with –
- Developing a timeline for the move (including preparing the house for sale and settlement)
- Identifying – what to take (what suits your new lifestyle in your new home) and what to let go (sorting home & contents into Functional, Favourites or Farewell items (Mary’s 3F’s))
- Packing, moving, unpacking (small moves)
- Presenting the property for sale to maximise its sale price
- Preparing the property for settlement
Our ultimate goal is to ensure you are equipped to enjoy your new lifestyle = your health, happiness & welfare.
It can be a huge and expensive task sorting out an entire home – by using our service, you can concentrate on settling into your new home while we do what needs to be done to achieve your best interests in line with your budget. For those who just need a little assistance, we can provide one-on-one assistance or assist by putting together a plan. Ask about our Planning Consultation package ($250-$295)
If you or a loved one is downsizing to independent or retirement living, contact Mary to discuss your needs and identify the level of care required.
Mary specialises in working with third age clients and their families