Downsizing to retirement or independent living
Moving can be overwhelming for any one at any age or life stage, so it is hardly surprising that for anyone making a significant life change such as downsizing to a smaller home or retirement, lifestyle or independent living, it can be overwhelming (both physically and emotionally), especially if leaving the family home after many decades …
If you can’t face the thought of downsizing because you worry about what will happen to all your stuff, you are not alone. One of the biggest challenges for many is dealing with, sorting and making decisions about what they have accumulated over many years.
Change is rarely easy and making decisions about what we can take and what we must let go can be tough. Some find it harder than others. The more we have, the harder it seems, so just getting started can be daunting.
Consider that each year we have lived has provided the opportunity to accumulate more possessions, thus as we age it can be more physically and mentally challenging to let stuff go –
- Stuff comes in, yet little goes out (failure to turn over)
- Failure to regularly tidy up and do clear outs (possibly a loss of or inability to change habits as we age)
- Consider that most of us can buy what we want when we need it
- Not understanding the availability and the abundance of stuff available for us to purchase, a “gadget for everything”
- Feeling emotionally connected to items makes it harder to let stuff go …
So if you have a lot of stuff and you want to downsize, you will need to get sorting asap. Remember, you are more important than your possessions. Please do not underestimate how challenging downsizing can be, the physical and mental input required nor the importance of planning. Developing a Transition Plan can help you focus on your priorities, objectives and keep you on track.
Mary of allsorters regularly assists clients with –
- Developing a timeline for the move (including preparing the house for sale and settlement)
- Identifying – what to take (what suits your new lifestyle in your new home) and what to let go (sorting home and contents into Functional, Favourites or Farewell items (Mary’s 3F’s))
- Packing, moving, unpacking (small moves)
- Presenting the property for sale to maximise its sale price
- Preparing the property for settlement
Our ultimate goal is to ensure you are equipped to enjoy your new lifestyle = your health, happiness and welfare.
It can be a huge and expensive task sorting out an entire home – with allsorters help, you can concentrate on settling into your new home while we do what needs to be done to achieve your best interests in line with your budget. For those who just need a little assistance, we can provide one-on-one assistance or assist by putting together a plan. Ask about our Planning Consultation ($250-$295).
If you or a loved one is downsizing to independent or retirement living and need help, contact Mary to discuss your needs and identify the level of care required.
Mary specialises in working with clients in their third age (60+) and their families