Downsizing to retirement or independent living
Moving can be overwhelming for any one at any age or life stage, but for anyone further along their life journey, possibly downsizing to a smaller home or retirement, lifestyle or independent living, it can be emotionally and physically challenging, especially if farewelling the family home after many decades …
Sorting through what one has accumulated over a lifetime can be confronting. It is often quoted as one of the biggest hurdles facing people downsizing … “I can’t face the thought of downsizing because I worry about what will happen to all my stuff”.
Change is rarely easy and making decisions about what we can take and what we must let go can be tough and emotionally tiring.
When a lifetime of possessions needs sorting, there can be a higher level of emotional connection, and thus it is more challenging! Some people find it harder than others and for some just getting started is the challenge.
Consider that each year we have lived has provided the opportunity to accumulate more, thus as we age it is more about letting stuff go –
- Stuff comes in, yet little goes out (failure to turn over)
- Lack of tidying up and clearing out stuff (possibly an inability to change habits as we age)
- Not understanding the abundance of stuff available for us to purchase, a “gadget for everything” – most of us can buy what we want when we need it!
- Feeling emotionally connected to items makes it harder to let stuff go …
So if you have a lot of stuff and want to downsize, you will need to get sorting. Remember, you are more important than your possessions and many items you have will have served a purpose in your life and are now possibly no longer needed.
Please do not underestimate how challenging dealing with a house full of stuff can be, the physical and mental input required nor the importance of planning. Developing a Transition Plan can help you focus on your priorities, objectives and keep you on track when you get bogged down.
allsorters regularly assists clients with –
- Developing a timeline for the move (including preparing the house for sale and settlement)
- Identifying and planning – what to take (what suits your new lifestyle in your new home) and what to let go (sorting into Functional, Favourites or Farewell (Mary’s 3F’s))
- Packing, moving, unpacking (small moves)
- Presenting the property for sale to maximise its sale price
- Preparing the property for settlement
Our ultimate goal is to ensure you are equipped to enjoy your new lifestyle and protect your health, happiness and welfare.
It can be a huge and expensive task sorting out an entire home – with allsorters help, you can concentrate on settling into your new home while we do what needs to be done to achieve your best interests in line with your budget. For those who just need a little assistance, we can provide one-on-one assistance or assist by putting together a plan. Ask about our Planning Consultation.
If you or a loved one is downsizing to independent or retirement living and need help, contact Mary to discuss your needs and identify the level of care required.
Mary specialises in working with clients in their third age (60+) and their families