Downsizing to retirement or independent living
It can be especially challenging for those further along their life journey, possibly downsizing or moving to a smaller home or retirement, lifestyle or independent living, particularly if leaving the family home after many decades …
Moving is often quoted as one of life’s most stressful situations, while sorting a home full of possessions is said to be one of the biggest hurdles when downsizing. A major recipe for stress.
Change is rarely easy and making lots of decisions about what we can take and what must go can be tough and emotionally tiring. Some people find it more emotionally challenging and thus find it harder than others, for some just getting started can be confusing.
Consider that each year we have lived has provided the opportunity to accumulate more so it is not necessarily a hoarding situation. As we age we sometimes fail to let stuff go, develop new habits and let old out-dated habits go –
- Stuff comes in, yet little goes out (failure to turn over)
- Lack of tidying up and clearing out stuff (possibly an inability to change habits as we age)
- Not understanding the abundance of stuff available for us to purchase, a “gadget for everything” – most of us can buy what we want when we need it!
- Feeling emotionally connected to items makes it harder to let stuff go …
- So if you have a lot of stuff and want to downsize, you will need to get sorting. Keep your stuff in perspective –
- you are more important than your possessions
- many items you have will have served a purpose in your life and are now possibly no longer needed.
Please do not underestimate how challenging dealing with a house full of stuff can be, the physical and mental input required nor the importance of planning. Developing a Transition Plan can help you focus on your priorities, objectives and keep you on track when you get bogged down.
allsorters regularly assists clients with –
- Developing a timeline for the move (including preparing the house for sale and settlement)
- Identifying and planning – what to take (what suits your new lifestyle in your new home) and what to let go (sorting into Functional, Favourites or Farewell (Mary’s 3F’s))
- Packing, moving, unpacking (small moves)
- Presenting the property for sale to maximise its sale price
- Preparing the property for settlement
Our ultimate goal is to ensure you are equipped to enjoy your new lifestyle and protect your health, happiness and welfare.
It can be a huge and expensive task sorting out an entire home – with allsorters help, you can concentrate on settling into your new home while we do what needs to be done to achieve your best interests in line with your budget. For those who just need a little assistance, we can provide one-on-one assistance or assist by putting together a plan. Ask about our Planning Consultation.
If you or a loved one is downsizing to independent or retirement living and need help, contact Mary to discuss your needs and identify the level of care required.
Mary specialises in working with clients in their third age (60+) and their families